MATCH MY MOLA!
What is Match My Mola?
Match My Mola! is our sunfish photo online submission form, which adds to the offline Bali Sunfish Photo Identification Catalogue. This Catalogue was started in 2013 and is now an ever increasing collection of sunfish photographs and data. The Data collected from this catalogue is useful for species identification, identifying and recognising individuals and assessing injury rates.
UPLOAD YOUR MOLA HERE!
What Makes a Good ID Shot?
An individual sunfish can be identified by its unique skin patterns on its side, so we are primarily looking for:
- Side-on images/footage taken as parallel to the camera as possible
- Images/footage with no/few obstructions such as bubbles, cleaner fish or shadows
- images/footage sufficiently clear to see the skin patterns.
- Original images with no manipulation
- Any format
- The higher the resolution the better
- BONUS = both sides of the same fish!
Don't Forget the Data!
Please include as much of the below information as possible:
- Date of your dive
- Time of dive (start time or time of sunfish sighting)
- Dive site: including any additional info on location e.g. nearest island name
- Depth of the mola: an estimate is fine
- Temperature: coldest on the dive
- A name for your mola!
Problem uploading large files?
If you are having issues uploading large files to the form then please send us a WeTransfer of your files to email@example.com (and don’t forget the data!)
- You retain all copyrights.
- If you would like your photo included on The Online Catalogue, let us know – otherwise your image will only be used for research purposes, and never shared, posted or distributed in any way
- IF YOU ARE SUBMITTING PHOTOS/FOOTAGE ON THE PHOTOGRAPHERS BEHALF PLEASE ADD THE NAME OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER IN YOUR MESSAGE SO WE CAN MAKE SURE TO GIVE THE CORRECT CREDIT.
- With the photographer’s permission, if you are able to include their contact information as well that would be very helpful, in case we want to request permission to use their photo later down the line.
Match My Mola! Environmental Awareness
Please be mindful of the diver codes of conduct while you are taking your photos of the sunfish. This not only refers to how best to approach the sunfish but also to the protection of the coral reef. It is incredibly important for sunfish to be allowed to settle on the coral reefs to be cleaned by the smaller reef fish that inhabit them. This should always take priority over getting that ‘perfect’ ID shot!
When allowed to settle for cleaning sunfish are very relaxed and can hang out for hours on end so there is plenty of time to take great photos or footage of the skin patterns.
Don’t forget that multiple photos of different sections of the same fish can be submitted and we will be able to piece the fish back together when doing comparisons. If each section of the fish that is sent in meets the criteria for ‘a good ID shot’ above, it is just as good as submitting one photo of the complete side of the fish. Besides, puzzles are fun!
Please visit our Diver Code of Conduct page to watch the video and to learn more about the Nusa Penida Marine Protected Area. Or simply click the button below to watch the Diver Code of Conduct video (English version only at the moment).
Make a Sunfish Happy – Make a Donation!
The Ocean Sunfish Research Trust operates 100% on volunteer efforts, in-kind support and donations. Any and all contributions are hugely appreciated.
Thank you for your kind support 🙂